TMS International claims a proud heritage of partnership, innovation and integrity dating back more than 90 years. It traces its roots to two separate companies in the metals industry, Tube City Iron & Metal and International Mill Service.
Tube City was founded in 1926 as a scrap iron and metal dealer in McKeesport, PA. In 1928, the company moved to Glassport, PA, which remains the location of our corporate headquarters. International Mill Service evolved from a company that operated a sand and gravel pit in the Cleveland, OH, area in 1936 and later expanded its operations internationally into slag processing and metal recovery. In December 2004, Tube City and IMS combined to create Tube City IMS, one of the world's leading outsourced steel services organizations.
As the company moved into its 10th decade of operations, the company decided to change its name in order to better reflect its integrated operations and global status. Therefore the company name, Tube City IMS, was changed in 2016 to TMS International Corporation.